Laser-induced breakdown spectroscopy (LIBS) gives information about the elemental composition within a small spot on a sample surface and, in addition, even low Z elements can be measured with a high degree of sensitivity.
SECOPTA GmbH in Berlin, Germany has integrated Avantes spectrometers in different FiberLIBS and MopaLIBS element analyzers for industrial and laboratory applications. With the LIBS Software Suite (LSS) calibration (univariate or multivariate, PLS) and classification (PCA, NN) models for a wide range of analysis tasks can be created. The calibration models can be used for offline and online measurement.
Material Science and Quality Control
The FiberLIBS Lab from SECOPTA is a powerful tool for material science and industrial quality control. For ease of use a sample positioning with camera and targeting laser is integrated. A combination of LIBS with a 3D sample stage allows not only the analysis of bulk material but also fast analysis of sample heterogeneity in µm range. Three different values can be used to calculate a false colour representation. Due to the integration of the whole setup in stable laser safety housing it can be easy operated without any additional laser safety precautions.
The FiberLIBSlab system uses one or two integrated Avantes spectrometers with customized spectral ranges and resolutions, which can be optimized for each individual application, including:
- Identification of defects in glasses;
- Distribution of lithium, manganese, nickel, and other elements in lithium-ion batteries;
- Determination of penetration depth of chlorine, sodium, potassium, and other elements in concrete;
- Depth analysis of different layers;
- Identification of contamination traces on work piece surfaces;
- Fast analysis of the element content in metallurgical samples.
- Other SECOPTA’s LIBS analyzers are developed for inline quality and process control and automated sorting. Identification of metal alloys, monitoring of the content of defined elements in a volume stream and sorting into individual defined customer classes of metal and refractory scrap are possible even on moving material.