Material Identification and Monitoring
Raman spectroscopy is a technique that characterizes inelastic scattering of photons in covalently bound molecules. This scattering is then used to define the material’s so-called molecular fingerprint, crystallinity and other specifications. Raman provides an invaluable analytical tool for molecular fingerprinting used in material identification, as well as monitoring changes in molecular bond structure (e.g. state changes, stresses and strains).
Avantes uses the high-sensitivity AvaSpec spectrometers in combination with a wide variety of lasers (including 532 and 785 nm) to give you the best result for your Raman measurements. The spectrometers are appropriately configured according to the wavelength of the laser.
AvaRaman-TEC series spectrometers have a Peltier thermoelectric cooling system, which provides down to -30°C cooling to ambient for superior dark noise reduction, keeping the detector at a steady 5°C. Thanks to the PID (Proportional (P), Integral (I), Derivative (D)) controller, this temperature is stable within a 0.1°C bandwidth. Every 5 – 7°C in temperature reduction means a 50% reduction in dark noise.
Special Raman probes are available for both fluids and solid substances. They feature different focal lengths, special versions for high temperature and/or high pressure are available. They are optimized for various specific excitation wavelength.
Avantes offers ideal lasers for Raman spectroscopy due to their very narrow bandwidth (<0.1 nm): an exact wavelength is cricital for the correct excitation of the molecules. Drift fluctuation is very low, under 0.25% over a period of 8 hours, perfect for reaction monitoring. Many different wavelengths are available.
- Auto calibration routines to determine the excitation laser peak (please note that an AvaRaman-Calibration tile is needed, sold separately)
- Integration time progress bar to indicate integration time status for longer spectral acquisitions
- View signal in normalized counts
- Software baseline correction for fluorescence suppression
- Process control add-on module is available for online analyses and control.
Also available is Panorama© software, a sophisticated modular spectroscopy software platform for demanding end users that require special analytical functions. It enables manipulation of all 2D and 3D spectroscopic data with just a few mouse clicks. It features mathematical noise reduction, functional group assignment and advanced reaction monitoring capabilities.
Panorama Light© software is a slim version of Panorama© which is only available in combination with our AvaRaman bundles. It offers:
- 2D & 3D data visualization
- Searching in libraries
- Archiving in spectral libraries, including additional information
- Conversion of many known data formats
Avantes has developed three different bundles for Raman measurements. These AvaRaman bundles can be used to measure various materials. We offer different bundles with all the products you need for basic Raman applications like powder and fluid anaysis to the more challenging measurements like weak signals with fluorescent backgrounds.
Why Avantes for your Raman application?
- High-temperature Raman probes
- 3-stage Peltier cooling for extremely high sensitivity
- Raman bundles with laser and spectrometer included
- Extensive knowledge on various Raman applications
These are some of the products mentioned above. To find the perfect setup for your specific application, contact one of our sales engineers for advice.
Below are some detailed application notes on various uses of Raman spectroscopy in different applications and industries.